Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Already had my cocoa...

I generally start my morning at the office with some hot chocolate - it warms me up (because i'm always cold) and keeps me from feeling too hungry. Wonder what i'll do when it gets warm outside (which may be never at this rate) :)

Guild last night was very interesting. The speaker was Joan Shay of Petal Play. She does a technique of appliquet/heat-n-bond that supposedly goes quickly and makes a nice 3-d effect - it works wonderfully on flowers, birds, fish, anything with lots of small parts (petals, feathers, scales). If i had the time i'd try this out, as it is quilt wise i'm booked so i will keep it in mind and in the future some time i may pick up a book of hers and try it out. If i had just seen her books i never would have been that interested, but seeing them in person (the quilts) i can definately say there are a few i really liked. Of course the daisies as that's my favorite flower, but i could see myself doing a bunch, i have a friend in Kansas i could do the sunflower for, i could do gifts for people with there favorite flower, there were lilacs, hyacinths (i love purple), tons to keep me interested ;)

So after my boyfriend made dinner and I filled up on pork chops i went to guild. I actually won the raffle (if you wear your hand made/quilted name-tag you get entered). Then I agreed to help out with the raffle quilt commitee. That means i help with picking the fabric, designing and kitting up of blocks. Then guild members piece the blocks (anyone that does gets entered into the raffle). Then i help piece together, and then 2 quilts are made, one is quilted by guild members (again more raffle chances the more you help). The finished quilt is raffled to the public, maybe at our quilt show in October, i'm not sure. The one that's just a top is raffled to the guild members that helped make it. It's going to be an indigo quilt with pink accents. I don't have days free to do the shopping so much but i offered to help whenever i can, i can cut and package, i can shop on the weekends etc. I like getting involved :)

Then I went home and read some more of Shogun. I need to listen to the next tape and see if i've made it that far yet. I'm nearing the end so it's getting hard to put down as i know something big is going to happen soon!

I've also started a new book on tape, "The Shipping News", this one is from the library and i think i'm going to have to renew it as i've already had it over a week and just started it. I think i get 3 weeks. Well hot chocolate is wearing off, time for some oatmeal :)

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi Nikki - Congratulations on winning the raffle :-) I am so looking forward to doing Legends of the Dragons with you :-)