Wednesday, May 25, 2005

A messed up sweater.

Well guild was okay, I did all the business I needed to do of getting raffle tickets for the quilt in october, getting more blocks to piece for next year's raffle quilt, handed in my finished pieces etc. Then for the meeting I took out my sweater to continue knitting the back.

Well the woman next to me was also a knitter so I asked her advice on my end stitches because they are really loose, she looked at it and did a few stitches. The problem is that she stitches differently than I, I hold the yarn in my left hand and "grab" it with the needle, she uses her right hand and wraps it around the needle. No real biggie but when I took it back and started knitting the yarn was on the wrong side and wrapped around the stitches she did. I didn't notice right away of course.

So I tried unknitting what I had done to fix it. Unfortunately I don't actually know how to unknit and somewhere I ended up with an extra stitch. I checked, i was supposed to have 64 and I had 65. Instead of smartly just knitting 2 together where it looked reasonable to do so I dropped one where I thought it had happened and tried to recreate what it was supposed to be. Well that backfired, but I didn't realize it right away either.

4 rows of knit/purl later I looked back and I had a huge hole that was growing bigger! Oh crap. I thought i'd have to unknit all the way back so I just put it down until I got home. When I was home I studied the hole and grabbed the escaping thread and "knitted" it up through where it should have been, a makeshift fix for sure as it doesn't look good but there's no hole at least. Then I added it to my current stitch so I still have only 64. Why didn't I just knit 2 together back then???? Now I have this huge mistake that I'm always going to hate and from the inside it's REALLY noticeable, luckily on the outside it's not that bad.

So this will deter me from finishing this sweater (I haven't gotten that far to begin with though since I'm still on the back). Plus I haven't liked the color that much, I don't think it's a color I'd wear very often. Plus (another plus), I didnt' buy enough yarn so i'll have to get more and most likely the dye lots won't match.

I was thinking of looking for yarn online and getting some new yarn that I like where it will all match and start over. Now i'm a little better at it and maybe can keep my tension more even. Anyhow - for now I'll just put it away and concentrate on other things.

I took tomorrow and friday off of work so chances are I won't blog again till tuesday (monday is a holiday) unless i'm really bored some day. My brother emailed me asking me if we could pick up his girlfriend and drive her home with us friday morning - girlfriend who we've only met once and it's not like my brother will be with us. Of course I will give her a ride (preferably she can take the train out to our place instead of us driving in to boston during rush hour morning). But it's wierd. Just great. Hopefully he won't ask us to drive her back too since we are already driving my uncle back. I just don't understand why she can't get a ride back herself, or borrow a parent's car or something. I guess I'm comparing her to me in college and I was more "on my own" and had a car by that time and didn't rely on other people at all.

Well I already broke my "don't buy new stuff for a while", I had forgotten that I bid on something on ebay and I just won it today. It was the Mirabilia Spring in my Garden that I liked. Last thing for a while though!

Today is going to be a busy work day since I have tomorrow off, i best get to it. And tonight might be an evening of quilting????

No comments: