Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Crochet vs Knit.

I learned to crochet a few years ago, my grandmother crochets a lot and i grew up in her afghans. Well I didn't want to make afghans so i drifted away from it after a scarf and some afgan squares and such. Then I found knitting - just recently, made some scarves and a hat, and i'd like to make a sweater and stuff.

So i was in Joann's on saturday (before Celebrations), looking at yarn and books with patterns. First i thought - maybe i would like to crochet a blanket, so i found a book with some patterns i liked - i have plenty of crochet hooks, so i looked at yarn. Reading the pattern i realized i'd need about 20 skeins of yarn! First that's too much money for me right now and second i can't actually get that much of one dye lot at joann's. So skip that idea.

Then i decided i'd challenge myself and get a sweater pattern i like. I found one, then i decided to keep it as simple as possible i'd get the exact yarn type called for (but in a color i like), so i did and i only needed 4 skeins. Plus i had to get new needles as it needs both 10 1/2 and 9 and i only have 10 1/2, currently attached to half a scarf i'm making to match my hat but i might give that a break.

When will i start the sweater - who knows.. but now i can whenever i want :)

On another note - I'm going to California next week, Monday to Friday, it's for work so it's not that exciting. I will be getting to work around 2 monday and working late, then tuesday will be an easy day and then wednesday and thursday will be LONG days and then we head back to LA thursday night to stay at a hotel close to the airport. So i'm desperately trying to not check my bag, if i was traveling by myself i would just check it but i'm not and the woman i am traveling with never checks a bag. So i have to fit dress clothes, casual clothes and my stitching for a week in one carryon. We'll just see how this goes, i plan on making a practice pack on friday and then clothes shopping saturday.

Again another note - I was at work until 9pm last night. That's a long day. We were working on the presentation material and i finished up my material this morning, just waiting for it to be reviewed now and then see what else i can help on. Tomorrow we do a "dry run" of the presentation, hopefully my part will only be 10 minutes. Then monday out in CA we will do a full practice. Boy am in nervous, this is all so new to me, but i'm up for the challenge and if everyone else has confidence in me i should have confidence right??

So not much got done last night - not gym for sure, i got home, ate some dinner, and quilted for about an hour. Then i went to bed. That's it, an hour at home before bed - i'm sure glad that's not a regular thing. And now i'm really hungry so i'm going to get some breakfast and see if i have any feedback on my work ;)

No comments: