Monday, February 18, 2008

A sewing weekend!

I finally started the real flower girl dresses in the real fabric and I love the fabrics! First I washed all the fabrics (these are for children), then cut out the fabric for a size 10. Next I started practicing with some scrap pieces because this is my first time using Eyelet fabric.

Well after some practicing I was not happy, everything shows through Eyelet so I looked through my Complete Book of Sewing Book and decided to line the Eyelet with the green lining fabric beforehand by basting the lining to the Eyelet, then sew the pieces to the inner lining as directed.

Here is the progress I made, this is just the top of the dress, the red thread is the basting that is still in and will be removed.
And the rest of the fabric for the skirt part of the dress happily sitting and waiting to be basted together as the skirt. I've decided to just do a single lining for the skirt part and not the inner lining.
I've still got more work to do on the top, I brought it in to talk with a sewing friend at work and she suggested stitching the seam allowances to the inner lining around the neck and armholes, so after I clip the seams I will do that. Then I have to add the ribbon to the top before completing it, this was not done because I need to go to Joanns and buy some satin for the ribbon as my original plan of using the lining fabric for the ribbon will not work (too flimsy).

Before I started on the real flower girl dress I needed to make a mockup of the younger girl's dresses, so I made this up in a size 5 to fit on my cousin hopefully next weekend.
This time I practiced the zipper and everything, it's really cute (the style dress not the fabric) :) I don't like the way the top is pieced so I'm going to try modifying that with a new mockup in size 3 or 4 to try on my other cousin (no practice goes unused!).

Besides sewing this weekend I didn't do much, watched a lot of Numb3rs Season 1 while sewing though which is tough because I'm a math person so whenever they start talking about math concepts I stop and watch.. :)

Hopefully the sewing will continue this week, I want to have more of the size 10 dress done by this weekend to try on my eldest cousins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey!
it looks pretty good....put up more pictures when you are done with the whole thing...i wish i could sew too!

Anonymous said...

why dont u put in more pictures....